Six New Fellows Installed and Honored for their Work and Dedication to the Field of Human Resources
Swords, Ireland, December 18, 2013 – Marcia J. Avedon, senior vice president, human resources and communications at Ingersoll Rand, is one of six human resource professionals installed in The National Academy of Human Resources (NAHR) twenty-second classes of Fellows, an honor considered the most prestigious in the field of human resources.
“By election to the Academy, the members of the 2013 Class of Fellows have been acknowledged by their peers as reaching the very highest level of achievement in the Human Resources profession,” said Kathleen S. Barclay, chair of the NAHR and senior vice president human resources, The Kroger Co. “Each of these human resources professionals has made sustained and exemplary contributions to their organizations, communities and human resources profession. These new Academy Fellows have played a substantial role in shaping human resource management thinking and policy. We welcome the new Fellows to the NAHR.”
Avedon’s dedication to advancing the human resources profession is evident in her work and extensive career dedicated to the profession. She holds a M.Phil., and a Ph.D. in industrial/organizational psychology from George Washington University, as well as a B.A. in psychology from the University of North Carolina-Wilmington. Avedon has held positions of increasing responsibility and leadership over the course of her career at Booz-Allen and Hamilton, Anheuser-Busch Companies, Honeywell and Ingersoll Rand.
She serves on the advisory boards for Cornell University’s Center for Advanced Human Resources Studies, University of North Carolina – Charlotte’s Belk College of Business and Rutgers’ Center for Human Resource Strategy and the United Way of Central Carolinas. Avedon is a member of Women Corporate Directors, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, HR50 and the HR Policy Association.
Since its founding in 1992, only 154 individuals have been elected Fellows of the National Academy of Human Resources, and 13 individuals have been honored as Distinguished Fellows.
The 2013 Class members are:
- Marcia J. Avedon, Ph. D., Senior Vice President, Human Resources & Communications, Ingersoll Rand plc.
- Kevin F. Hallock, Ph.D., Joseph R Rich ’80 Professor, ILR School, Cornell University
- Ms. Daisy Ng, Senior Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer, Darden Restaurants
- Mr. Marc C. Reed, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, Verizon Communications Inc.
- Ms. Susan M. Suver, Senior Vice President, Human Resources & Administration, U.S. Steel Corporation
- Ms. Carole Watkins, Chief Human Resources Officer, Cardinal Health